I found some pretty beautiful Granny Smith apples at the store this past week and this recipe really does the trick. It’s quick and simple, and perfect to set up right before making dinner. Best served warm and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe 38: Gingery Apple Crisp
Total Time: 45 mins
Yield: 4+ servings
- 2 large Granny Smith Apples cored, peeled, and sliced thin (about 4 cups loose)
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg (or 1+1/2 tsp ground nutmeg)
- 1 tsp fresh-grated lemon zest
Preheat your oven to 375F. Peel and slice your apples (see photos for an easy tip on peeling), and arrange them on a well-greased 8″x8″ pan or a similar glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with the lemon zest. In a bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients (except the butter) and use a fork to blend them together. Add the butter and use a fork to make loose crumbs but enough to distribute the butter. Pile this mixture on top of the apples and pop it into the over for 30 minutes (or until the apples are tender).
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!