This is more like a carrot and ginger chowder. It’s thick and creamy, but without dairy. It’s a low-cal version on the standard “vegetable puree + cream” soup. I made this as a way to get myself back on track after a week of party-food.
52: Carrot Ginger Soup
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 lg. Red Onion, chopped
- 2 & 1/2 lbs Carrot, diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 cups Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- healthy pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- The longest part of this recipe is chopping your vegetables. So get that out of the way right off the bat.
- Add your 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large soup pot and turn your stove onto medium-high heat.
- Add your chopped vegetables and cook while stirring occasionally, until the onions start to get translucent, the carrots start to break down a little, and the whole mixture starts to stick to the bottom.
- Add your stock to the pot and stir to dislodge any caramelized vegetable from the bottom of the pot.
- Cook another 10 minutes on medium until the thickest carrot pieces are soft. Now comes the fun part.
- Process your soup with an immersion blender, a hand mixer, or a regular blender. You want a smooth consistency but leave a few lumps for texture.
- Serve with croutons or toasted almond slices.